2023 Fencing Tournament
2023 Tournament Date: July 15th & 16th
Location: Candlewood Fencing Center
31 Pecks Lane, Unit 7 Newtown, CT
The 2023 Fencing Tournament will be coordinated by Jeremy Goun & the Candlewood Fencing Center.
Online Registration is available on AskFred.net
- $50 per event.
- $25 Late fee will be added to registrations after July 1st.
- No Day of Registration
- Registration Deadline: 7/12/23
9am - Men's Foil Open
9am - Women's Foil Open
9am - E + Under men's Saber
9am - E + Under Women's Saber
- 12pm - Men's Epee Open
- 12pm - Women's Epee Open
- 12pm - Men's E + Under Foil
- 12pm - Women's E + Under Foil
- 3pm - Women's Saber Open
- 3pm - Men's Saber Open
- 3pm - E + Under Men's Epee
- 3pm - E + Under Women's Epee
- No registration fee. $50 per event.
- Events may be capped and spectators restricted as local governance and the public health landscape dictates.
- All fencers must have their own equipment. We are unable to lend equipment of any kind for any reason. Please order any equipment you may need ahead of time.
- Open and E & Under events will be sanctioned. Therefore, all equipment must conform to USFA regulations. In particular, we will be enforcing the mandated neoprene covering over the chest plate in foil. This only applies to those foil fencers who use chest plates.
- In the event that we do not have enough entries to run separate men's and women's events for a particular weapon event, we may mix the two into one event.
- By attending this tournament, you agree that within 14 days of the date of the event, you have not tested positive for Covid-19, been in contact with someone who has Covid-19, or traveled to a known Covid-19 hotspot. Additionally, you release and hold harmless Candlewood Fencing Center and its staff from any and all liability regarding Covid-19 transmission. While state and local laws regarding Covid-19 transmission will be followed to the letter and every other imaginable precaution will be taken, there is an inherent transmission risk associated with being in public.
CFC prides itself in providing our competitors with qualified referees, an experienced Bout Committee and a friendly staff.
CFC is a member of the CT Division of the USFA:
This event is sanctioned by the CT Division and ratings can be awarded. You can view the USFA ratings chart: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0034/6264/Classification_Chart.pdf
Urgent and important information will be communicated through the FRED e-mail system. It is the fencer's responsibility to verify that your FRED profile contains your correct e-mail address. (http://www.askfred.netthen go to "My FRED").
Registration and payment must be made through askFred.net. Registration is not complete until payment is made. If you are listed as an "incomplete" registrant on the askFred list, you will be charged the walk-in event fee. Payment at the door for walk-in registration must be made in cash or check only. (Please bring exact change)
USFA rules apply.
All fencers are REQUIRED to present the following documents at check-in:
A valid competitive USFA, other fencing federation, or FIE Membership card. Obtain/renew membership at:https://www.railstation.org/usfencing/Login.aspx?Redirect=Profile.aspx?returnurl=default.aspx.
New USFA memberships, new USFA card, or replacement USFA cards can be obtained via USFA. Print membership card https://www.railstation.org/usfencing/Login.aspx?Redirect=Profile.aspx?returnurl=default.aspx.
Athletes arriving without proof of USFA or other fencing federation membership must complete all appropriate forms and pay for USFA membership at the registration desk. You may join/renew at the door (parent signature required), however we request that you arrive with a completed form or plan to come early to complete required paperwork. The form can be found at http://www.usfencing.org/page/show/699332-forms.
Please have a separate check payable to "USA Fencing" or you can use your credit card, which is preferred.
TOURNAMENT FEES / DEADLINES:
Tournament fees must be paid at time of your registration (your entry is considered "incomplete" until your payment is made). Fees and deadlines are established by CFC. Credit card payments are taken on-line through askfred.net only.
Refund requests must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and will only be honored if received prior to midnight on 7 days prior to the start date of the tournament. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Any refunds will be net of surcharges from ask Fred (please include your mailing address).
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
ALL TIMES POSTED REPRESENT THE CLOSE OF CHECK-IN
Start times are subject to change - check askfred.net for updates. Fencing will commence shortly after the close of check-in. Fencers should arrive at least 1/2 hour prior to the close of check-in time. This should provide you with ample time to properly warm-up.
- Full USFA regulation uniform is required
- The fencer's name is NOT required to be displayed on their uniform for this event
- All events are conducted with electric equipment. A preliminary inspection will be conducted at the beginning of each pool and DE to ensure the presence of the following equipment: underarm plastron, weapons, body cords and all appropriate weapons check control marks. Athletes are subject to prohibition from fencing if these conditions are not met.
- Fencer must have at least two working weapons, two working body cords and two working head cords. Foil mask with conductive bib is required
- Events may be mixed if less than 6 fencers
- One round of pools with 100% promotion to Direct Elimination rounds.
- No fence-off for third place; Medals awarded to 3rd place.
- Fencers are responsible for ensuring accuracy of all posted information and must report errors to the bout committee immediately. Fencer signature on pool score sheets and DE bout slip implies accuracy.
THERE WILL BE NO EQUIPMENT CHECK FOR THIS EVENT.
** Liability waiver - Upon entering this tournament you agree to abide by the current rules of the USFA and other applicable rules instituted by CFC and the Connecticut Division. You acknowledge you are entering this tournament at your own risk and release the USFA and its sponsors, CFC and the Connecticut Division, and referees from any liability. With entry you give consent to CFC to obtain medical care from any licensed physician, hospital or clinic for any injury or illness that may arise during activities associated with this tournament. Photography, filming, recording, or any other form of media of the athlete during the tournament can be used by CFC and the USFA. Those wishing to opt out of media coverage must inform the Bout Committee.
CFC is a member of the CT Division of the USFA
Seeding is based on the Current National Youth Ranking according to age group and weapon, then your letter ranking with year classification, then fencers with neither points nor classification are seeded on a random basis after the fencers who are seeded by the previous criteria.
CFC will ONLY use ratings and points standings that have been forwarded to and accepted by USA Fencing in advance of the tournament and then downloaded by us from USA Fencing. This information will be downloaded on three days before the event. Check your current points at:http://www.usfencing.org/page/show/695476-current-point-standings.
Check USA rating at http://www.usfencing.org/page/show/698125-current-membership-listing. Fencers should verify their ratings and point standing prior to the event. Any discrepancies must be resolved with the USFA. Only an official e-mail response from USFA will override the ratings/points published on the USFA website.
Each event's tentative seeding will be posted at the venue and on-line prior to the close of check-in. Final seeding will be posted after close of check-in. It is the fencer's responsibility to notify the Bout Committee of any discrepancies in posted seeding information before pool assignments are posted. Any mistakes in posted information throughout the tournament must be reported to the BC immediately (within 3 minutes of posting). This includes club affiliation, division, classification, date of birth, gender, spelling of name, etc.
Errors in posted pool results must be reported to the BC immediately (within 5 minutes). Once DE round starts and tableau is posted, the pool results are final and no adjustments will be made.
Check all scores before leaving the strip. Fencer signature on pool sheet and DE slip implies accuracy.
POINTS AND CLASSIFICATION EARNINGS
Classifications (ratings) can be awarded, however youth events must exceed criteria in Group C1 or higher to award changes in classifications. Please refer to the USFA Classification Chart at:http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Fencing/Events/About-Tournaments/Classification-Chart.aspx
Classifications are not finalized until the complete results and membership forms are received by the National Office.
Photography and filming is permitted, however NO flash photography is allowed near ongoing competitions.
Withdrawal during pools: If a fencer withdraws, or is excluded, is scratched from the pool, and his results are annulled as if he had not taken part in the competition.
Withdrawal during DE: When for whatever reason a fencer cannot fence or cannot complete his bout, his opponent is declared winner of that bout. Note that per USA Fencing rules, fencers who are not present for their bout after having started a competition (for reasons other than a verified medical withdrawal) will be excluded from the competition, and national points and/or classifications that might have been earned for that competition will not be awarded. Further disciplinary action can be taken by USA Fencing.
USA Fencing rules apply. http://www.usfencing.org/page/show/695208-rulebook
Fencers who are not present for their bout after having started a competition (for reasons other than a verified medical withdrawal) will be excluded from the competition, and national points and/or classifications that might have been earned for that competition will not be awarded. Further disciplinary action can be taken by USA Fencing.
All events will be one round of pools comprised of the standard 5-touch bout in 3 minutes, with 100% promotion to direct eliminations. Pools of 6 or 7 will be used whenever possible. 100% of the fencers will be promoted to a DE tableau. Direct Elimination Tableau shall be established according to the results of the preliminary pool round. Events with fewer than 11 participants may be two rounds of pools to direct eliminations. There will be no fence off for third place.
Events will be mixed if there are less than 6 competitors of either gender.
Events that are posted as mixed may be gender-separated if at least 6 fencers of either gender enter the event.
The Nutmeg State Games administration works closely with all Connecticut media outlets regarding any interesting stories about athletes and teams that will be participating in the "Games". If you have an interesting story to tell, we are all ears!
Human interests stories typically address situations "off-the-court". Do you volunteer in the community? Are you great at something other than the sport you are playing? Are you following in the steps of a a sibling or parent? Of course, if you are doing something great on the court please provide us with all the details.
If you, your team or someone you know fits any of these questions, please pass along this information or feel free to contact our office, and we would be happy to coordinate coverage on their behalf. - Please send all info to email@example.com.