2018 Pickleball Tournament
We are proud to announce that the ShopRite Nutmeg State Games Tournament will be offering its 1st Annual Pickleball Tournament this June 22nd-24th at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. The Pickleball Tournament will be Directed by Janice Pauly. The Nutmeg State Games is a Skill Level / Age Group Tournament.
Schedule of Play:
- Friday, June 22nd - Womens Doubles, Mens Singles
- Saturday, June 23rd - Mixed Doubles
- Sunday, June 24th - Mens Doubles, Womens Singles
- Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your start time.
- All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day.
- If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE - Friday, June 1st
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances are permitted in the possession of athletes.
- Behavior on and off the competition field by any person’s associated with the "Games" must follow the highest standards.
- Use of foul or abusive language constitutes a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- All athletes must respect the decisions of the officials and umpires during and after competitions. Any harassment will constitute a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- Unruly behavior by spectators towards players, coaches, volunteers, and/or officials will not be tolerated. Such behavior may result in the dismissal of the offending spectator from the competition site.
- Any participant’s behavior deemed in violation of the Code of Conduct, as decided by the Nutmeg State Games administrative staff, subjects the competitor to expulsion from the "Games".
- Age Groups:
- Age Groups: up through 12-18, 19+, 35+, 50+, 55+, 60+, 65+, 70+, 75+, 80+
- Skill Levels:
- 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0
- Please Note:
- Age divisions for all doubles competitions will be determined by the age of the youngest participant as of December 31, 2018. For example, a doubles team consisting of one player age 65 or older and one player age 63 will compete in the 60+ age division.
- Events Offered:
- Men's & Women's Singles
- Men's & Women's Doubles
- Mixed Doubles
- Tournament Format:
- Skill Level / Age Group Tournament.
- The format of play will be round robin for small groups.
- For larger groups, the format will be round robin pool play followed by a single elimination championship round for the top two teams from each pool.
- If necessary, age divisions and/or skill levels may be combined to form a playing group. Each team will play each other once. Final rankings are determined by games won against all other teams in the group. Ties are broken by the head to head record of the teams involved.
Awards and Qualifying:
Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals will be awarded in each age category.
All medalists will qualify for the 2019 State Games of America Tournament that will take place in Lynchburg, VA from July 31st through August 4th, 2019.
The Nutmeg State Games will also recognize the top three states overall. Points will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers in all events to determine the winners. Teams that include players from two different states will earn points for both states.
General Information for Players
- NO NEON (Yellow or Green) clothing will be permitted during the Pickleball Tournament.
- Balls will be provided. Tournament Ball - TBA
- Sign in for each day of the pickleball tournament in the lobby at the tournament desk.
- Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your scheduled start time. All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day. If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
- Tables and chairs will be available outside of the field house for relaxing and lunch. No food or drinks other than water are permitted in the field house.
- Volunteers. We will need volunteer referees for the medal round games for all championship events and for any other games where players request a referee. We have 14 courts to set up in the field house.
- Bathrooms will be available for changing.
Events are open to all Connecticut amateur athletes and out of state residents who register with the Nutmeg State Games Office. The Nutmeg State Games reserves the right to cut the competition in the event of over subscription.
You have the option to either Register ONLINE or by HARDCOPY - You do not have to do both!
To be considered for competition of the Nutmeg State Games an Individual Sport Participant must submit the following:
Individual Sport Athlete Entry Form
One check covering appropriate Individual Sport Fee
Proof of age (a COPY of one of the following: Driver’s license, Birth Certificate or Passport).
Proof of Age is required for the following Individual Sports: Archery, Golf, Gymnastics, Swimming, Track & Field and Wrestling
The Nutmeg State Games Administration will notify a participant of his or her status by a confirmation email once the Registration goes through. Participants will be selected on a first come, first served basis. Participants not selected because of receipt after the registration deadline or other specified date (please see appropriate sport for registration deadline dates) will receive a full refund as soon as verification is possible.
Looking for a doubles or mixed doubles partner, click on the "Partner Up" Icon below to find a partner today!
- The Partner Finder page allows you to create an online profile to assist you in finding a partner and allows you to view players looking for partners.
- We ask all participants to use the Partner Finder page when looking for a partner
- We kindly ask that you don't contact the tournament director for a partner. Thank you.
The Nutmeg State Games administration works closely with all Connecticut media outlets regarding any interesting stories about athletes and teams that will be participating in the "Games". If you have an interesting story to tell, we are all ears!
Human interests stories typically address situations "off-the-court". Do you volunteer in the community? Are you great at something other than the sport you are playing? Are you following in the steps of a a sibling or parent? Of course, if you are doing something great on the court please provide us with all the details.
If you, your team or someone you know fits any of these questions, please pass along this information or feel free to contact our office, and we would be happy to coordinate coverage on their behalf. - Please send all info to Nutmeg@csmg.org.