2018 Pickleball Tournament
We are proud to announce that the ShopRite Nutmeg State Games Tournament will be offering its 1st Annual Pickleball Tournament this June 22nd-24th at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. The Pickleball Tournament will be Directed by Janice Pauly. The Nutmeg State Games is a Skill Level / Age Group Tournament.
Please Note: For all doubles and mixed doubles events, the second partner must sign up no later than two weeks after the first partner or before the tournament reaches full capacity, whichever comes first.
Schedule of Play:
- Friday, June 22nd - Womens Doubles, Mens Singles
- Saturday, June 23rd - Mixed Doubles
- Sunday, June 24th - Mens Doubles, Womens Singles
- Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your start time.
- All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day.
- If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE - Friday, June 1st
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances are permitted in the possession of athletes.
- Behavior on and off the competition field by any person’s associated with the "Games" must follow the highest standards.
- Use of foul or abusive language constitutes a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- All athletes must respect the decisions of the officials and umpires during and after competitions. Any harassment will constitute a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- Unruly behavior by spectators towards players, coaches, volunteers, and/or officials will not be tolerated. Such behavior may result in the dismissal of the offending spectator from the competition site.
- Any participant’s behavior deemed in violation of the Code of Conduct, as decided by the Nutmeg State Games administrative staff, subjects the competitor to expulsion from the "Games".
- Age Groups:
- Ages 12 & Up
- Skill Levels:
- 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 (USAPA rated players must use that rating when registering)
- Please Note:
- Age divisions for all doubles competitions will be determined by the age of the youngest participant as of December 31, 2018. For example, a doubles team consisting of one player age 65 or older and one player age 63 will compete in the 60+ age division.
- Skill levels are determined by the level of the higher rated player. For example, a doubles team consisting of one 4.0 level player and one 3.5 level player will compete at the 4.0 skill level.
- Events Offered:
- Men's & Women's Singles
- Men's & Women's Doubles
- Mixed Doubles
- Tournament Format:
- Skill Level / Age Group Tournament.
- The format of play will be round robin for small groups.
- For larger groups, the format will be round robin pool play followed by a single elimination championship round for the top two teams from each pool.
- If necessary, age divisions and/or skill levels may be combined to form a playing group. Each team will play each other once. Final rankings are determined by games won against all other teams in the group. Ties are broken by the head to head record of the teams involved.
Awards and Qualifying:
Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals will be awarded in each skill level age category.
All medalists will qualify for the 2019 State Games of America Tournament that will take place in Lynchburg, VA from July 31st through August 4th, 2019.
The Nutmeg State Games will also recognize the top three states overall. Points will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers in all events to determine the winners. Teams that include players from two different states will earn points for both states.
General Information for Players
- NO NEON (Yellow or Green) clothing will be permitted during the Pickleball Tournament.
- Balls will be provided. Tournament Ball - TBA
- Sign in for each day of the pickleball tournament in the lobby at the tournament desk.
- Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your scheduled start time. All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day. If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
- Tables and chairs will be available outside of the field house for relaxing and lunch. No food or drinks other than water are permitted in the field house.
- Volunteers. We will need volunteer referees for the medal round games for all championship events and for any other games where players request a referee. We have 14 courts to set up in the field house.
- Bathrooms will be available for changing.
We expect the Nutmeg State Games Picklelball Tournament to fill up quickly and result in waiting lists for some events.
- Registration will open for Pickleball in Mid-Late March. You will receive an email once it is open.
- For all doubles and mixed doubles events, both partners must sign up in order for a team to be entered into an event. Teams with non-registered or TBD partners will be placed on a pending list until the second partner registers. The second partner must sign up no later than two weeks after the first partner or before the tournament reaches full capacity, whichever comes first.
- When registration closes, a waiting list for each event will be created. Any remaining pending teams will be placed on that list.
- Feel free to contact us with any questions you have about this process. Also feel free to share this information with your pickleball friends.
In 2018 the CT Sports Management Group, Inc. will be running three separate Pickleball Tournaments: the CT Masters' Games, Nutmeg State Games and Nutmeg Fall Classic. We will attract over 700 participants plus family members, friends, spectators and the media to the three tournament. We expect players from all over the Northeast Region and other states to attend. The increase in popularity and the growth of Pickleball throughout the USA creates a tremendous opportunity for your company to showcase its products.
- CT Masters' Games
- May 18th - 20th.
- Welseyan University, 14 Courts.
- Attendance Approximation: 250+ Participants. Qualifier for the 2019 National Senior Games.
- Webpage: http://ctmastersgames.org/individual-sports/pickleball/
- Nutmeg State Games
- June 22nd - 24th
- Wesleyan University. 14 Courts
- Attendance Approximation:250+ Participants. Qualifier for the 2019 State Games of America.
- Webpage: http://nutmegstategames.org/individual-sports/pickleball/
- Nutmeg Fall Classic
- October 5th & 6th
- North Haven Health & Racquet
- Attendance Approximation: 200+ Participants.
- Webpage: https://csmg.org/our-events/nutmeg-fall-classic-pickleball
How Your Support is Mutually Beneficial:
MORE THAN JUST A GAME: Personal Development, Sportsmanship, Physical Fitness, Teamwork, Volunteerism.
Your sponsorship support will ensure that we provide our participants with a tremendous experience that will leave lasting memories, increase the opportunities and growth of Pickleball, while educating attendees about your company through pertinent email marketing campaigns, web based ads and onsite engagement. Your organization has the opportunity to gain substantial visibility by becoming a part of our "Family of Sponsors".
Looking for a doubles or mixed doubles partner, click on the "Partner Up" Icon below to find a partner today!
- The Partner Finder page allows you to create an online profile to assist you in finding a partner and allows you to view players looking for partners.
- We ask all participants to use the Partner Finder page when looking for a partner
- We kindly ask that you don't contact the tournament director for a partner. Thank you.
The Nutmeg State Games administration works closely with all Connecticut media outlets regarding any interesting stories about athletes and teams that will be participating in the "Games". If you have an interesting story to tell, we are all ears!
Human interests stories typically address situations "off-the-court". Do you volunteer in the community? Are you great at something other than the sport you are playing? Are you following in the steps of a a sibling or parent? Of course, if you are doing something great on the court please provide us with all the details.
If you, your team or someone you know fits any of these questions, please pass along this information or feel free to contact our office, and we would be happy to coordinate coverage on their behalf. - Please send all info to Nutmeg@csmg.org.