2019 Pickleball Tournament
We are proud to announce that the ShopRite Nutmeg State Games will be offering its 2nd Annual Pickleball Tournament this June 20th - 23rd at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. The Pickleball Tournament will be Directed by Janice Pauly. The Nutmeg State Games is a Skill Level / Age Group Tournament. Registration is open and only available through PickleballBrackets.com website.
Schedule of Play:
- Thursday, June 20th - Warm-Up / Practice Round, 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Friday, June 21st - Womens Doubles, Mens Singles
- Saturday, June 22nd - Mixed Doubles
- Sunday, June 23rd - Mens Doubles, Womens Singles
- Please plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your start time.
- All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day.
- If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
The Connecticut Sports Management Group presents the Nutmeg State Games Skill Level/Age Group Pickleball Tournament.
This is a qualifying event for BOTH the 2019 and 2021 State Games of America tournaments. The 2019 Tournament will be held in Lynchburg, VA from July 31st through August 4th.
Age groups are 12-18, 19-34, 35-49 and 5 year divisions starting at age 50.
Skill levels are 3.0 and under, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5+. USAPA members with an official skill level rating, must register for that level or higher.
******** SIGN UP BY SKILL LEVEL ********
- Skill level groups will be split by age group to create competition events.
- A team must play at the skill level of the higher rated player and the age of the younger player.
- Groups may be combined at the discretion of the tournament director. Medals will be awarded by the competitive event.
- The tournament format is round robin for events with a small number of teams. For events with more than 10 teams, teams will be divided into two pools and the top two teams in each pool will advance to a playoff round to determine medal winners.
The tournament is limited to 300 players. Registration will automatically close when that number is reached. Register early and encourage your partner to register early to guarantee your spot.
- Warm-Up / Practice Round will be held on Thursday, June 20th from 4:00pm - 6:30pm
- Women's Doubles and Men's Singles will be held on Friday, June 21st
- Mixed Doubles will be held on Saturday, June 22nd
- Men's Doubles and Women's Singles will be held on Sunday, June 23rd
Tournament results will be sent to the USAPA for inclusion in USAPA Tournament Player Ratings. *Pending the release of data upload rules and procedures by the USAPA
General Information for Players
- NO NEON (Yellow or Green) clothing will be permitted during the Pickleball Tournament.
- Sign in for each day of the pickleball tournament in the lobby at the tournament desk.
- Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes before your scheduled start time. All start times are estimates except for the first round of play each day. If courts and all players are available, games may begin before the estimated start times.
- Tables and chairs will be available outside of the field house for relaxing and lunch. No food or drinks other than water are permitted in the field house.
- Volunteers. We will need volunteer referees for the medal round games for all championship events and for any other games where players request a referee. We have 14 courts to set up in the field house.
- Bathrooms will be available for changing.
Athlete Code of Conduct
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances are permitted in the possession of athletes.
- Behavior on and off the competition field by any person’s associated with the "Games" must follow the highest standards.
- Use of foul or abusive language constitutes a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- All athletes must respect the decisions of the officials and umpires during and after competitions. Any harassment will constitute a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- Unruly behavior by spectators towards players, coaches, volunteers, and/or officials will not be tolerated. Such behavior may result in the dismissal of the offending spectator from the competition site.
- Any participant’s behavior deemed in violation of the Code of Conduct, as decided by the Nutmeg State Games administrative staff, subjects the competitor to expulsion from the "Games".
Registration is online through PickleballBrackets.com website only.
- The registration fee is $50 for up to two events and $10 for an additional event.
- Registration opens on 2/11/19 for the 2019 "Games".
- There will be a practice session on Thursday, June 20th from 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM. A $6 per person fee for the session can be paid at registration.
- For a guaranteed spot in the tournament in doubles and mixed doubles, the second partner will have two days to register after the first partner signs up. If the second partner does not register within that time limit, the team will be moved to the waiting list. Once the second partner registers, the team will be moved back into the event if there are still openings available.
- The tournament is limited to 300 players. Registration will automatically close when that number is reached. Register early and encourage your partner to register early to guarantee your spot.
- No refunds for withdrawals from an event.
- Refunds minus a $10 processing fee for withdrawals from the tournament up through May 31, 2019.
- No refunds for withdrawals from the tournament after April 28, 2019
Thurs., June 20th - Open Practice
- There will be a practice session on Thursday, June 20th from 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM.
- A $6 per person fee for the session can be paid at registration.
- Spouses and friends of players are welcome.
Practice Session Player Rotation When Courts are Full
- Place your paddle next in line on the first row of the bleachers. (or the table if that is what we use)
- Those who want to play together may stack their paddles.
- Single paddles will be able to bypass a stack to create a playing group of four if necessary.
- Games will be played to 11.
- Leave the court when you are finished.
- Courts will be filled by the supervisors in order of paddles.
- Please respond promptly when your game is called.
- Once your paddle is placed, you may not move it up or down in line. You may move it to the end.
In 2019 the CT Sports Management Group, Inc. will be running three separate Pickleball Tournaments: the CT Masters' Games, Nutmeg State Games and Nutmeg Fall Classic. We will attract over 1,000 participants plus family members, friends, spectators and the media to the three tournament. We expect players from all over the Northeast Region and other states to attend. The increase in popularity and the growth of Pickleball throughout the USA creates a tremendous opportunity for your company to showcase its products.
- CT Masters' Games
- May 16th - 19th.
- Welseyan University, 16 Courts.
- Attendance Approximation: 325+ Participants.
- Webpage: http://ctmastersgames.org/individual-sports/pickleball/
- Nutmeg State Games
- June 20th - 23rd
- Wesleyan University. 16 Courts
- Attendance Approximation: 325+ Participants. Qualifier for the 2019 & 2021 State Games of America.
- Webpage: http://nutmegstategames.org/individual-sports/pickleball/
- Nutmeg Fall Classic
- October 4th & 5th
- North Haven Health & Racquet
- Attendance Approximation: 325+ Participants.
- Webpage: https://csmg.org/our-events/nutmeg-fall-classic-pickleball
How Your Support is Mutually Beneficial:
MORE THAN JUST A GAME: Personal Development, Sportsmanship, Physical Fitness, Teamwork, Volunteerism.
Your sponsorship support will ensure that we provide our participants with a tremendous experience that will leave lasting memories, increase the opportunities and growth of Pickleball, while educating attendees about your company through pertinent email marketing campaigns, web based ads and onsite engagement. Your organization has the opportunity to gain substantial visibility by becoming a part of our "Family of Sponsors".
Looking for a doubles or mixed doubles partner, click on the "Partner Up" Icon below to find a partner today!
- The Partner Finder page allows you to create an online profile to assist you in finding a partner and allows you to view players looking for partners.
- We ask all participants to use the Partner Finder page when looking for a partner
- We kindly ask that you don't contact the tournament director for a partner. Thank you.
The Nutmeg State Games administration works closely with all Connecticut media outlets regarding any interesting stories about athletes and teams that will be participating in the "Games". If you have an interesting story to tell, we are all ears!
Human interests stories typically address situations "off-the-court". Do you volunteer in the community? Are you great at something other than the sport you are playing? Are you following in the steps of a a sibling or parent? Of course, if you are doing something great on the court please provide us with all the details.
If you, your team or someone you know fits any of these questions, please pass along this information or feel free to contact our office, and we would be happy to coordinate coverage on their behalf. - Please send all info to Nutmeg@csmg.org.